Everyone introduced themselves & stated their background. Jeff is acting chair. Jane & Viv have come along to share wisdom and experience to help get us up & running!
Other points discussed at this stage were:
Sharing programmes & ideas. Certainly at a group level it makes sense to share so people can join together. At the next meeting we’ll agree a way of doing this. An email to GSL or Sec seems easiest?
Other groups have programmes and Viv suggested a contact for Asha.
Clive is sharing scout one with Asha. Invited to share sausage sizzle event.
Ross updated everyone on situation here. About 17 beavers and due to close in July due to no leaders from sept. If we do find parents, then leaders will stay & rotate to support them in transition.
Cath is doing a comms to the parents there.
Suggested it went to cubs too in case a parent there may be willing to help.
Also, there may be leaders at 95th. Ross to contact Ron Spencer to see. Rachel, went there for experience & was due to come back…4 years ago!
Suggestion about sending letter out to Calcot school too. Can Cath contact Simon?
Getting leaflets from RBOS money – also send to all Calcot parents?
Asha is to be the leader and run it bi-weekly until someone else can help. Trudi & Kate are willing supporters but don’t want to be a leader.
Suggested they do planning together to involved the others more & maybe we start asking for an assistant leader, as Asha would be the Cub leader.
Lisa knows a friend she is going to ask.
Asha is doing a parent letter asking for helpers, subs, parent rota (with opt out). She will position OH helpers and need for forms. Ross gave her forms.
1st Theale & Calcot AGM
Must have annual AGM as part of charity status constitution.
Normally have in June – we will defer to Sept/Oct.
Accounts (or lack of!) is a real problem!
We have a bill to pay to Theale Parish Council for cubs/beavers. Jeff took a copy of this bill to speak to Nigel.
Scouts pay their own bill directly (but only pay £5 hour)
Discussed signatories – believe it is Andy & Nigel. Need to add Ross. Jeff to discuss current situation with Nigel and get back to Ross.
Have chqs been paid in for subs? Jeff is chasing Vince as Vnce said they hadn’t. This is urgent! Might need to get back to parents as now asking for next subs!
Asha agreed to ask for £10 subs to see cubs through to July end. Scouts/Beavers pay £30 term.
Ross needs to tell Jo Reuth (council) cubs only meeting every other week.
Also discussed having one set of accounts for whole group. Margaret’s husband has a spreadsheet which is very good. Jane thinks this is how we should do it. We deferred this conversation until we have immediate priorities sorted out.
Is there a treasurer amongst your pack/friends/family!
Currently Jeff is doing this – until we find someone else! We will look again after the summer when we’ve more pf an idea of what parents we’ve got etc.
Chair is basically supposed to chair the meeting, work with finances & admin, help with fundraising.
Paul suggested a family camp (great idea) but not yet ready. Let’s discuss it early next year!
Decided to try and do a family barbq in the ground next to Cumber Hall as this is “home”.
We’ll provide food and simple drink but maybe ask for suggested family donation.
Date suggested is Sunday 3rd July or Sunday 17th July.
Need to agree a time. 2-4? Ross to contact Jo Reuth
Earlier date is preferable in case anyone was “warm” it gives us a few weeks to talk to them before holidays start!
Do a simple reply slip so we have an idea of numbers.
Can we get someone along to help with some “campfire” songs? Ideas on names?
Scouts will do some fun sketches.
Scouts will organise alter fires
Some simple activities.
Paul will bring his big drum to BarBQ
The idea is it is fun – showing a bit about what “scouting” is and that we are a “group” it is not an AGM or official recruitment event…
District Camp – 25/26 June
Clive taking scouts. Asha would like to go. Ross will try too. Ross will go Sunday (busy sat) so he gets Scout’s Own!
Finishes at 3:00 Sunday in Ufton Court?
Scouts do risk assessment
Asha using matrix from work
Cumber Hall doesn’t have accident book so each leader to keep their own.
Communications from group/district etc. Ross to send on and people delete as they wish.
Recruitment week late June. Can get materials and use for our own group in our way.
Ross will go on behalf of group but not do a “show and tell”
Ross contact Jane for details.
Beaver flag. There is one currently with Calcot Beavers – we share. There is a Union Jack in green filing cabinet in Cumber Hall
Clive will ask for a real flag pole in Cumber Hall
Only have 1 official key. Need more. Ross to ask Jo R.
Group store – Paul asked to be QM for group. He has great ideas of racking, concrete etc. Go for it Paul!
Share craft materials in Cumber Hall.
Date of next Meeting
Either 9th June (Jeff & Jane can’t make it)
Or during half term on 2nd?
Please reply to Ross ASAP to confirm your preference. Priority to discuss is the family event.
RH, CS, APE